About the role
Job Title: Sustainability Manager
Reports To: Head of Brand Partnerships
The Sustainability Manager will play a leading role working across the business to help reduce
schuh’s environmental impact and will drive the continued development and implementation of
schuh’s environmental strategy. The role will also focus on delivering schuh’s roadmap to net zero,
across the short, medium and long term as well as managing our annual carbon assessment.
The role will also support the wider business as required to help analyse and progress schuh’s environmental initiatives including those involving; supply chain transparency, circularity, waste and emissions. The candidate will also provide counsel to senior stakeholders in the business, including the board, while also working with the People and Purpose Leadership Teams to communicate schuh’s environmental progress both within the business and also with key partners, in the form of an annual impact report.
The role sits within schuh’s Partnerships Team, but will require close collaboration with key departments e.g. Logistics, Supply Chain, Product, People, Purpose Leaders, Brand Marketing and PR.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead on the continued development of schuh’s environmental strategy and policy with accountability for setting ambitious goals, reporting and communications and including the formulation of a sustainability manifesto.
- Develop a detailed short, medium and long-term roadmap to achieving our target of Net Zero, implementing initiatives to reduce our environmental footprint.
- Manage schuh’s annual carbon assessment with our partner Carbon Footprint, working with key stakeholders across the business to improve reporting accuracy and data collation.
- Provide counsel, expertise and strategic advice when required to the business on environmental issues, evaluating opportunities and risk.
- Work with key business stakeholders to agree key sustainability objectives, deliverables, and timescales while helping to monitor compliance.
- Keep up to date on emerging UK and EU legislation regarding environmental compliance, providing guidance and making recommendations to the Board and Purpose Leaders as appropriate.
- Support the company's application and progress towards achieving B-Corp certification.
- Work with the People team to help drive engagement on environmental and ESG initiatives.
- Work with the Community Marketing Manager to help deliver an annual ESG impact report to be published for both partners and customers.
- Research and develop new business projects and initiatives as required which help to reduce schuh’s environmental impact.
- Help manage and support the relationship with key industry bodies such as the British Retail Consortium as well as relevant partners such as World Land Trust, Ecologi, Segura.
- Work with the Brand Marketing Team to help guide communication on schuh’s circularity initiatives and impact work with their charity partners such as World Land Trust.
- Work with the Logistics Director to evaluate emerging and more environmentally-friendly packaging opportunities.
- Work with teams across the business such as the Store Maintenance Team to improve the accuracy of how we record what we do with our waste.
- Support and contribute to our parent company’s ESG working group to help drive forward all Genesco businesses in improving their environmental policies and initiatives by sharing regular updates on progress and schuh initiatives.
- Work with the Senior Brand Partnerships Manager to help document key suppliers environmental initiatives, whether they offset their emissions, etc.
- Support the QC Manager and Supplier Compliance Officer where required to help achieve supply chain transparency and traceability to raw material level.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience in climate change, energy, and carbon-related work.
- Technical knowledge of GHG accounting and reporting.
- Understanding of Net Zero, science-based targets, Scope 1, 2 and 3 de-carbonisation strategies, offsetting, and removals.
- Excellent communicator who is able to engage different stakeholders across all areas of the business.
- Highly organised with strategic planning skills and project management experience.